RE: Cygwin Command Line Strangeness

From: Damian Harty
Subject: RE: Cygwin Command Line Strangeness
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 22:47:54 +0000

> have you looked where was created the file ?

Yes. It's some arbitrary place. Like it is on my machine. The point is that
it's "here" - where the command is run. I know it's "here" because the echo
command to create the file is run immediately prior to the call to Octave. So
where it is doesn't actually matter. It's a short path, too - not off the end
of some 128 character limit.

> probably the HOME or PATH is not defined as you think.

This doesn't strike me as a path thing. I tried "octave.exe ./test_me" to be
sure anyway, no change.

My machine has $HOME (in the Cygwin sense) set to the same place as a windows
shell prompt starts. Which, by the way, is the same place Octave looks on his
machine for the file. Which *isn't* where we are.

The question for me is why does octave look somewhere other than "here" for the
file? Why, when Octave is invoked, does it look "somewhere else" for a command
file it's asked to execute?

I've never known any operating system do this, and I've been around the block a
bit. I'm feeling stumped and I'm sure it's annoyingly trivial!

Damian
CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email communication is
confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly
error, please notify us immediately by return email and destroy all copies of
this communication, including all attachments.