Re: [help-octave] Re: utf8 does not appear to work for function document

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: [help-octave] Re: utf8 does not appear to work for function documentation strings generated with texinfo
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:25:12 -0400

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 02:22:05 -0700, CdeMills wrote:
> "char" should be better. From the C++ standard definition:
> [...]
> For a "plain char", all bits participate to the representation; which is
> what we require. On the same example, it works too.

Yeah, ok I guess that is more consistent. Also, the Matlab help for
fwrite lists "char" as an encoding-dependent character, which means it's
probably the appropriate conversion type for fwrite-ing strings anyway.

So after we do support wide characters, "char" in fwrite will mean
something different but it will still be the correct term to use.

I actually just realized an even better solution - use fprintf instead
of fwrite when dealing with strings.

> This open another issue: I spotted other cases of two-arguments fwrite in
> the source:
>
> scripts/image/imread.m:%!   fwrite (fid, vpng);
> scripts/pkg/private/create_pkgadddel.m:      fwrite (instfid, extract_pkg
> (nam
>
> The first should be tested.

The first *is* a test, so simply running "test imread" shows that it
works (vpng is a matrix of type double whose values are in the range
[0,255]).

> The second implies that package name should not contain exotic characters,
> which is probably a good thing.

Looks good to me.

--
mike