Re: Octave 3.8.1 on Linux; updating mex files for LIBSVM

From: Colin Beckingham
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.1 on Linux; updating mex files for LIBSVM
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:29:27 -0400

On Fri, 2014-03-28 at 09:46 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> > On 28/03/14 13:51, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> > > I'm running Octave 3.8.1 installed from openSUSE (12.3) science
> > > repository 64 bit version.
> > >
> > > In Octave 3.8.0 I successfully compiled the package LIBSVM
> > > (www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm) into Octave which produced the
> > > required mex files in the ~/octave directory under my /home
> > structure.
> > >
> > > Since then my Octave has been updated to 3.8.1. Libsvm no longer
> > works:
> >
> > Just a suggestion to start with (others more experienced can comment
> > further).
> >
> > When you update Octave to a newer version, re-compile your mex files
> > making sure that you use the compiler (mkoctfile) and headers that
> > come
> > with the octave version that you are going to use the mex files with.
> >
> > So try recompiling LIBSVM using the tools from your new Octave 3.8.1.
> >
> > Regards
> > J.
>
> Thanks for this. I have confirmed from Yast (the openSUSE package
> manager) that the versions for the Octave and the development package
> match. So the development headers should be good when the "pkg install
> xxx" is invoked. I am assuming that when I call pkg install that this
> will call mkoctfile at that time.
>
> I have also tried removing the current .mex files from the ~/octave
> directory but this has no effect, still the same message about bundles
> not allowed.

Following on from J's suggestion, I went down into the libsvm structure
to the matlab section and forced a recompile with mkoctfile. This
compiled without error but failed with the following response on
execute:

>> mkoctfile --mex svmtrain.c
... copy new .mex file to octave directory ...
>> svmtrain
error: /home/colin/octave/svmtrain.mex: failed to
load: /home/colin/octave/svmtrain.mex: undefined symbol:
svm_free_and_destroy_model