RE: Transcendental equation

From: Allen.Windhorn
Subject: RE: Transcendental equation
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:06:20 +0000

Guido,

Well, the J1 and J0 functions have zeros alternating out to infinity,
so the ratio has zeros where J1 is zero and singularities between
the zeros, where J0 is zero, so if the Bi value is constant or at
least doesn't get too high, the roots of your equation will be
pretty close to the zeros of J1(x).  These are spaced at intervals
of about pi and since the zeros of J1 are about the same as the
zeros of (sin(x)-cos(x)) which is to say 5pi/4, 9pi/4, 13pi/4...,
you can just use those as starting points and use fzero (which does
a secant method search or something similar) to find the root near
that point.  You would need to pick a couple points either side of
the guess that have opposite signs.  Or there are probably other
rootfinders available that are simpler for well-behaved functions
(anybody?).

Regards,
Allen