Re: Constrained Nonlinear Optimization problem

From: Ether Jones
Subject: Re: Constrained Nonlinear Optimization problem
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 21:18:16 -0400

 On May 2, 2014, at 7:40 PM, Ether Jones wrote:

Could someone please show me how to set up this problem in Octave?

Maximize (x + y)

Subject to constraints:

  0 <= x <= 75

  0 <= y <= 75

  29.5 - sqrt(0.184*(x+y)^2 + x^2) = 0.0

  45.5 - sqrt(0.184*(x+y)^2 + y^2) = 0.0

I have solved it with Maxima, Python, AMPL, and Excel and get the following answer:

  x = 17.2
  y = 38.7

But I'm having trouble setting it up in Octav

Thank you.

I should have made a few points clearer in my original post:

I've read the documentation for sqp() in the Octave manual.  I find it puzzling.

I'm aware that maximization can be accomplished by making the objective function negative (
that's what I did for Python and Maxima, using Powell's COBYLA
).

I'm an Octave newbie.

This is not a homework problem (I'm in my 60's).  It's a scaled-down example of a more complex engineering problem I am trying to solve.

If someone would be willing to show how to transform/convert this example into the parameters that the Octave sqp() function requires it would be greatly appreciated.