"checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no"

From: Electronnix
Subject: "checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no"
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 23:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to compile octave 3.4.0 with as many features as possible in a
Linux system (Debian Lenny).

The only stumbling stone left is Cholesky.
I'm using suitesparse 3.4.0 and the libcholmod.so from it.
I found this previous thread:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/CHOLMOD-library-not-found-td4650968.html

and I see this issue was never solved or figured out.

I have everything else working, except when running configure I get:

checking suitesparse/cholmod.h usability... yes
checking suitesparse/cholmod.h presence... yes
checking for suitesparse/cholmod.h... yes
checking for cholmod_start in -lcholmod... no
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.

I can see the function choldmod_start is defined in cholmod_core.h and I
don't know
what else should be done for this "choldmod_start" to be found by
./configure

Does anyone have any trick up up their sleeve that would persuade
./configure to see better?

I already have in my system 2 versions of octave installed (from standard
debian packages)
but they are older and I want to build this version with all bells and
whistles.
In /usr/lib I have the following:

===========================
libcholmod.so.1  -> link to libcholmod.so.1.2
libcholmod.so.1.2
libcholmod.so.3.1.0
===========================

They don't interfere with my build, because I use the following configure
command:

and therefore I only use the headers and the libraries I got from
suitesparse 3.4.0 I compiled.

I compiled suitesparse successfully and I copied the headers to
/usr/include/suitesparse
and the libraries to /usr/lib/suitesparse.
All other stuff is found (AMD, COLAMD, CCOLAMD, CXSPARSE, UMFPACK etc) and
ok,
but CHOLMOD is still stiff.

If anyone knows anything about this cholmod_start issue, please give me a
hint.
For the sake of details, I paste below the configure status displayed at the
end: