Re: Error while running octave from C++

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Error while running octave from C++
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

soestra wrote
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. The octave version (3.6.2-5) is the newest that the
> package manager offers me, so I'd prefer to stick with it if possible.

What distro?
In any event I'd enter a bug report in your distro's bug tracker. I'm
surprised this problem still occurs, or has resurfaced, these days.

> I tried the following: I downloaded lapack 3.5.0 and compiled the whole
> package without the optimization flags. However, this didn't have any
> effect at all (still the same error) so I'd suspect that it wouldn't help
> either to follow your steps exactly?

Probably, but my memory is quite hazy as it must be even much longer ago
than I first thought (e.g., the time of MandrakeLinux, later superseded by
Mandriva and now Mageia).

If you google for e.g., "octave lapack dlamch" I suppose you'll get some
hits helping you out. In my memory I was hinted by a post by Jaroslav Hajek
about this problem.

Note that only dlamch (and probably slamch) should be recompiled w/o
optimization or light optimization, not the entire lib!
You'd need to pick the source corresponding to your distro version, not just
"a" lapack version. Once built you need to swap the rebuilt lib into place
into /usr/lib and make sure the symbolic links still match (and keep a copy
of the original lib).

Philip