Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave

From: inertialwave
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:20:00 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for the several leads to a solution to my problem. I was able to
browse your Instrument-Control source link and note Stefan Mahr's
contribution and have been finding your several ML contributions on the
subject. There is a lot to learn for me to return with a complete Win
package but I have a colleague at a university who is capable with C/C++
code and has great success with Matlab Instrument-Control Toolbox. I will
see if I can "learn fast" with his tactical assistance. Some
clarifications/questions before I go off to "Code U":

1) I have used Matlab's Data Acquisition Toolbox (DAT) with great success
for high speed digital demodulation of audio signals from National
Instruments USB DAQs but now realize this is distinct from
Instrument-Control Toolbox. I need to reflect on their differences to
understand whether high-speed streaming is also appropriate to do with I-C.
(I see its currently only advertising 230kbaud vs the 460kbaud streaming
data I have been picking up with fread in core Octave.)

2) Contributing to a better Instrument-Control package would be noble work
so I am motivated to investigate stretching to help.
http://edn.com/electronics-blogs/the-practicing-instrumentation-engineer/4428091/GNU-Octave-hits-a-high-note
<http://edn.com/electronics-blogs/the-practicing-instrumentation-engineer/4428091/GNU-Octave-hits-a-high-note>

3) My original narrow questions was simply how to open a Bluetooth serial
device with Octave's core fread function. This should be possible according
to Matlab I-C if my device supports the SPP protocol, which it does. (My use
of "virtual serial port" is not accurate and may have been confusing.). I
only have a device driver for Win) For this device type it does not simply
open with fopen('\\.\COMxx'). I was hoping for a simple substitute port name
for Win OS- PySerial has figured it out but I don't yet see how.

4) Has anyone  successfully opened a Bluetooth serial device under linux or
other non-Win OS inside core Octave or Octave/Instrument-Control ? Does
fopen('/dev/ttyUSBxx') work for  such a BT/SPP driver ?