Re: Create an XLSX suing the OCT interface

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Create an XLSX suing the OCT interface
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 03:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

ijourneaux wrote
> I am trying to switch over to the OCT interface to create Excel xlsx
> files. When I try to run my script I et the following messages.
>
> Any thoughts on what the problem might be.
>
> I am using Octave 3.8.2 with IO 2.2.2
>
> Checking requested interface(s):
> OCT*; (* = default interface)
> Creating file
> E:/PrintQuality/Jobs/2014-09-04/2014-09-04+Microstick+DO_NOT_OPEN.xlsx
> warning: xls2open: file
> E:/PrintQuality/Jobs/2014-09-04/2014-09-04+Microstick+DO_NOT_OPEN.xlsx
> couldn't be unzipped
> warning: __OCT_spsh_open__: some elements in list of return values are
> undefined
> warning: xlsopen.m: file type not supported by OCT
> error: oct2xls: invalid xls file pointer struct
> error: called from:
> error:
> C:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2-rc2\share\octave\packages\io-2.2.2\oct2xls.m at
> line 152, column 5
> error:   E:/PrintQuality/Scripts\microstick2.m at line 286, column 13

Have you tried with io-2.2.4?

Maybe your computer is "too fast"; for io-2.2.4 I had to introduce a few .25
sec delays in the code to (as I conclude that was the problem:) allow the
system to properly finish low-level I/O on my work PC (a fairly fast double
Xeon beast). Whether or not this was the underlying issue, writing .xlsx
files with OCT only worked reliably with these delays.
This is only related to the zip/unzip utilities, with gzip/gunzip I haven't
seen such issues.

Anyway a number of bugs have been fixed lately for the OCT interface; and
I'm still busy with some more bugs relating to some specific stuff in the
OOXML specs and some MS-Excel-specific things (not so clearly outlined in
the OOXML specs) that weren't handled correctly in the io package and that
only recently came to light.
So if io-2.2.4 doesn't work for you, just hang on; I'll try to release
io-2-2.5 in one of the next weeks.

Philip