octcdf and netcdf crash errors

From: James Luffman
Subject: octcdf and netcdf crash errors
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 23:14:30 +0000

Hi There, I am having some problems with the octcdf and netcdf packages - any help would be appreciated.

I have just been through this helpful guide by Alexander Barth:
http://modb.oce.ulg.ac.be/mediawiki/index.php/NetCDF_toolbox_for_Octave#Troubleshooting

Basically, regardless of whether I use octcdf or netcdf, upon calling any netcdf handling functions, I get this and a crash:
panic: Segmentation violation -- stopping myself....

Here is some info on what I'm running and what I've tried:
-Running Octave 3.8.1 on Windows 8 64 bit, and am getting the crash error in both GUI and non-GUI mode
-Have installed netcdf 4.3.2, have modified windows path to include netcdf directories, and can successfully call netcdf functions (eg ncdump) from the windows command line, so netcdf appears to be working fine
-Have tried both octcdf 1.1.7 and netcdf 1.0.4, installed using 'pkg install -verbose -auto -forge <pkgname>'

My goal is simply to be able to read netCDF files into Octave arrays.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James