Re: how to create a permutation matrix

From: c.
Subject: Re: how to create a permutation matrix
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:58:47 +0100

On 26 Jan 2015, at 18:35, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

>> ans = permutation matrix
>>
>> is there a way to create an object of his type in an m-file?
>

> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Creating-Permutation-Matrices.html
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.

Thanks,

That was exactly what I was looking for, I knew it was somewhere but I forgot
where ;)
Is it expected that :

>> P = eye (4);
>> P = P([2 1 3 4], :);
>> typeinfo (P)
ans = permutation matrix

but

>> P = eye (4);
>> P ([1 2], :) = P([2 1], :);
>> typeinfo (P)
ans = matrix

BTW the reason I was asking is that I was trying to implement this algorithm
[1] in
an m-file (see attachment).

Does anyone else need this? If so maybe I could commit it to the linear-algebra
package?

c.

[1]
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatReorderForNonzeroDiagonal.html