Re: [Kriging-help] Conditional Simulation Methods

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: [Kriging-help] Conditional Simulation Methods
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 11:10:12 +0200

Le 04/05/2015 10:56, Nat Price a écrit :
Hello Julien,

Thanks you for your quick response. When I said "continuous simulations" I was referring to something I read in:

Chilès, Jean-Paul, and Christian Lantuéjoul. “Prediction by Conditional Simulation: Models and Algorithms.” In Space, Structure and Randomness, edited by Michel Bilodeau, Fernand Meyer, and Michel Schmitt, 39–68. Lecture Notes in Statistics 183. Springer New York, 2005. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/0-387-29115-6_3.

To quote this text:
"Discrete and continuous algorithms do not work the same way. A discrete algorithm is designed to assign a value directly to each point of the simulation field. In contrast to this, a continuous algorithm produces a set of basic ingredients that summarizes the simulation content. These ingredients can subsequently be used to derive the value at each point of the simulation field. The main advantage of continuous algorithms is that they make simulations available at any spatial resolution." ... "All algorithms developed by Matheron are continuous. The most typical example is the so-called turning bands algorithm to simulate a GRF [44, 46]."

I am not very knowledgeable regarding the different conditional simulation algorithms. However, if I end up implementing any other conditional simulation methods in Matlab during my research I would be happy to share them.

Thanks,
Nat

Thank you for the clarification.

Please keep the mailing lists in CC when you reply, so that everyone can follow the discussion.