Re: string serialization of builtin datatypes

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: string serialization of builtin datatypes
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 17:56:14 +0100

On 6 May 2015 at 15:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Philip Nienhuis
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> <snip>
>> Conceptually, io would be the right package, however if the chances
>> are that this is going to move to core rather quickly
>
> Not so quickly, and not in its entirety either.
>
> JWE only wants the spreadsheet I/O to go into core, and I'm not sure if that
> can be done completely. Some functionality can go over, some will have to
> remain in io due to incompatibility with licensing, too experimental or
> fragile code, or other limitations.
>
> As a result, smaller or larger parts of the io package will survive :-)
>
> I think it'll happen with 4.2.0 at the earliest. With 4.0.0 on the doorstep
> I think there's no priority to pick this up.
>
> Philip

I believe that when he said "this is going to move to core", he meant the
serializer, not the stuff in the IO package.

However, if the idea is to make it to core quickly, and this has been
discussed before, maybe do it on core.  I just got this idea of having
a clone of core in OF, and have OF devs taking "ownership" of bookmarks
with their names as prefix to make it easier for them to contribute to
core (not sure if this would help at all).

An alternative package is the parallel package --- maybe I'm a bit blind by
associating serialization with having multiple octave processes working
together over the network.  I'm already dreaming of a Pyro equivalent for
Octave :)

Carnë