Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time

From: John Donoghue
Subject: Re: Octave 4 installer doesn't detect JRE at install time
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 21:44:18 -0400

On 06/05/2015 09:06 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 17:22:05 -0400
From: Will<address@hidden>
To:address@hidden

Hi all,

Today I downloaded and installed the Octave 4.0 release from here
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/, but got a warning about not
detecting the java runtime environment. This was true - it wasn't
installed, so I went and grabbed the JRE and JDK (64-bit, version 8
update 45), rebooted windows, and tried to install Octave again. But,
the installer still threw the warnings about not detecting the JRE. I
accepted all the defaults during installation of the JRE and JDK, and
installed in the standard path (C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_45). Any
idea what I need to do to get Octave to detect the JRE at install time?
The Java integration was something I was quite looking forward to!

Thanks in advance (hope I'm not missing the obvious!)

- Will

The installer looks first for the JAVA_HOME environment variable
if it didnt find the variable it will then look in the registry under hkey local machine,
"SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\xxxxxx\JavaHome"
where xxxx is the value under the registry key "SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion"

if it doesnt find that, it will show the error.

Can you verify that either JAVA_HOME enviroment variable or that there are the settings in the registry?