Re: Windows compatibility

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Windows compatibility
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 22:59:36 +0200

On 01.07.2015 22:02, Barry Fowler wrote:
Which operating system do most developers use to write code for Octave?
Linux?   I have a new desktop with Windows 8 and I'd like to consider
adding the lsqr routine based on the Linpack routines. If that's easy
enough then maybe I'd be able to do more complicated things in the future.

Barry

Barry,

Octave is part of the GNU project. Thus, the GNU/Linux operating system is a natural choice for most developers, because of the matching philosophy (we care about user freedom). Also some essential development tools (GNU make, mercurial, …) are easier to install and use on a GNU/Linux system.

However, one thing I like about the Octave language (m-files) is its simlicity and that you can easily write it in any text editor of your choice. So you should be able to use any setup that fits you best.

If you stay with the Windows operating system, report encountered bugs for that platform and contribute in fixing them, you will soon add significand value to the Windows compatibility of Octave.

Oliver

P.S. Please use bottom-posting on the mailing lists.