Re: PKG install under Windows (access right issue?)

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: PKG install under Windows (access right issue?)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:06:25 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: User1116
> To: help-octave
> Date: 2015/8/26, Wed 23:47
> Subject: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup
>
> Hello,
>
> I am getting several errors like the one below when trying to install the
> instrument-control package:
>
> cp: cannot create regular file
> `C:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i686-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/gpib.oct':
> Permission denied
>
> Ending with:
>
> couldn't copy files to the installation directory
> error: called from 'copy_files' in file
> C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\pkg\private\copy_files.m
> near
> line 43, column 7
>
> I'm running on Octave-4.0.0 which I installed from the available installer.
> I've set the pkg prefix command to use a directory in my user account to
> avoid any UAC issues.  I set both the installation prefix and the
> architecture dependent prefix to the same directory
> (C:/users/adamro1/octave)
> I've also tried editing the home directory but haven't found a
> combination
> that makes this work.
>
> Can anyone help with this issue?

First, I do not have an answer.

I would like to state my trials.

I have tried to install instrument-control package without setting pkg prefix
on octave-4.0.0 on windows running on windows 7 64 bit.
The UAC setting is default. (No change was made by the control panel.)

>> pkg install -forge instrument-control

was successful.

Therefore install itself seem not to be a problem.

> cp: cannot create regular file
> `C:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i686-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/gpib.oct':
> Permission denied

From the error message that you have shown, perhaps it is an access right issue.
(Seem not to have write access so that files were not able to be copied.)

Sorry I do not have much knowledge about UAC issue so that I cannot reply
further.

Tatsuro