Re: Chart is not resizing to plot all points (QTHandles)

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Chart is not resizing to plot all points (QTHandles)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:08:40 +0100

On 26/10/2015 08:57, Jonathan Mario Camilleri Borg wrote:
I noticed that the chart does not plot all the points.

I typed:
 >> plot(1,2);
 >> a = [1,2;1,3;1,5];
 >> plot(a);
CLI

Using windows 8.1 and Octave 4.0.0

Inline images 1

Jonathan,
I understand that learning from scratch is the biggest steps,
but you should consider that the software was born 27 years ago,
so unlikely has very basic bugs, and more likely you are misunderstanding the usage.

You should read the documentation before rising basic questions

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html#Two_002dDimensional-Plots

Going back to your test

  >> plot(1,2);

this produce a single point, with X=1 and Y=2

>  >> a = [1,2;1,3;1,5];
>  >> plot(a);

This produce 3 points   (1,2) , (2,3) and (3,5).
Why ? Because instead of calling as

plot (X,Y)

with two series of numbers one for X and one for Y axis.
you are calling with a single argument

plot(Y)

so the X values are the points sequence 1,2,3...
and the Y are taking by "a" as 2, 3 and 5