Re: Using Octave GUI..

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Using Octave GUI..
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:26:25 -0500

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Jonathan Camilleri
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On the right hand side where it is indicated in the screenshot.
>
> On 9 November 2015 at 21:02, Torsten <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 09.11.2015 20:28, Jonathan Camilleri wrote:
>> > I clicked on the right hand side, and, tried to use the menu option
>> > which reads 'Toggle Breakpoint' but nothing happens.
>> >
>> > I am just wondering whether this is a bug, and, feel free to log it if
>> > you think it is one, I am new to Octave GUI/CLI.
>>
>> Please keep the list in copy (replay to all!).
>>
>> What do you exactly mean by "I clicked on the right hand side"?
>>
>> Torsten
>>

> --
> Jonathan Camilleri

Ok, so to clarify, you're trying to use the GUI to drop in a
breakpoint, clicking on the left side to drop the 'red stop circle' at
that line.

Note that this is version 1 of the GUI, and I've noticed some hiccups
with the debugger. Sometimes breakpoints do or don't seem to register
with the program depending on exactly what function you call.

Does the red circle appear where you expect (or sometimes a few below
at the next executable line)?

How do you try to then execute the script or function to test it?

Does the function or script do anything unexpected, or just run
straight through ignoring the breakpoint?

I think you had also mentioned that you weren't sure how to run the
script or function? You should just be able to use the command line,
type the name of the script, or issue a function call ( typing
functionname(variables) )   and it will run.  if it doesn't run, make
sure octave is currently working in the same location you saved the
file (check the file/folder tree or use the CD and PWD commands)

I have noticed that sometimes a GUI breakpoint may get ignored or
cleared if I execute another function, even if it calls the function
with the breakpoint, so there may be some valid cases where the
breakpoint functionality isn't working perfectly.

Note that you can always use the old-school method of the command:

keyboard

to insert a hard breakpoint in any code.  when reaching that command,
the interpreter will stop and pause in debug mode just as you'd expect
when with setting a breakpoint. at that point you can execute commands
at the command line, step through code using F10 or the "dbstep"
command, or continue running with FY or the "dbcont" command.

Let us know which part of the above causes a problem, or if you get
error messages.

Nick J.