Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 13:55:47 -0500

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:24:26 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM, James Sherman Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Octave-4.0.0 on windows, the actual plot examples in the help file
> > are correct ( they use double quotes ) such as:
> >
> >> plot (x, y, "or", x, y2, x, y3, "m", x, y4, "+")
> >
> > However, when listing different options (this may have been where Jon
> > was confused), such as the different color options, the single
> > characters are listed as <backtick character single_quote>, such as:
> >
> >> color
> >           `k'  blacK
> >           `r'  Red
> >           `g'  Green
> >           `b'  Blue
> >           `m'  Magenta
> >           `c'  Cyan
> >           `w'  White
> >
> > Was this what as confusing, Jon?
> >
> > James Sherman
> >

> hmm... I can see where that would be misleading. in the tex it is
> listed as @samp(x) which renders as `x'.  pretty consistent throughout
> the help looking elsewhere.  also comes up for @code(stuff).
>
> so where in the source does that live?

Thanks to all. This is entirely up to the makeinfo program (GNU
Texinfo). I don't have Texinfo 4.13 anymore to test with, but I think
this changed between 4.13 to 5 (I now have Texinfo 6). Perhaps Octave's
Windows build should be updated to include Texinfo 6 to fix the quoting,
among other fixes.

--
mike