Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:04:30 -0500

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:24:26 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM, James Sherman Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Octave-4.0.0 on windows, the actual plot examples in the help file
>> > are correct ( they use double quotes ) such as:

>> > However, when listing different options (this may have been where Jon
>> > was confused), such as the different color options, the single
>> > characters are listed as <backtick character single_quote>, such as:

>> >           `k'  blacK
>> >           `r'  Red
>> >           `g'  Green
>> >           `b'  Blue
>> >           `m'  Magenta
>> >           `c'  Cyan
>> >           `w'  White
>> >
>> > Was this what as confusing, Jon?
>> >
>> > James Sherman
>> >

>> hmm... I can see where that would be misleading. in the tex it is
>> listed as @samp(x) which renders as `x'.  pretty consistent throughout
>> the help looking elsewhere.  also comes up for @code(stuff).
>>
>> so where in the source does that live?
>
> Thanks to all. This is entirely up to the makeinfo program (GNU
> Texinfo). I don't have Texinfo 4.13 anymore to test with, but I think
> this changed between 4.13 to 5 (I now have Texinfo 6). Perhaps Octave's
> Windows build should be updated to include Texinfo 6 to fix the quoting,
> among other fixes.
>
> --
> mike

googling through the texinfo changelog
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/trunk/ChangeLog?root=texinfo

2012-01-24  Patrice Dumas  <address@hidden>
* tp/Texinfo/Convert/Plaintext.pm, tp/Texinfo/Convert/Unicode.pm,
tp/Texinfo/Convert/XML.pm, util/texinfo.dtd: ` becomes ' in plaintext
to follow the GNU coding standards change.  ` and ' are translated to
unicode characters in XML and when @documentencoding is utf-8 and
enable-encoding is set.

that would be a whatever--> 5.0 change.

that news file and changelog are still using the `x' format for
everything quoted.  seems like it might still keep the ` based on that
last statement unless there's another flag that can be set?

maybe too big a change for the 4.0.1 bug release? :)