Re: Plot function not working

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Plot function not working
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:20:33 -0500

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM, jegg17 <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM, NJank [via Octave] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2015 7:32 PM, "jegg17" <[hidden email]
> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4673951&i=0>> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > I had to switch computers and downloaded Octave 4.0 on my new computer
> > (Windows 7), but I am currently not able to use the plot function at
> > all...the window freezes and the program has to be manually shut down.
> I've
> > been reading about changing the graphics toolkit to 'gnuplot', but that
> > hasn't solved my issue either. I did not have this issue on my previous
> > computer and am a little stumped, to say the least. I also tried
> installing
> > the 'general' package, but am still unable to plot.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> Maybe a silly question, but how long did you wait? A few of us have
> experienced intermittent delays on some operations in the windows build,
> longest for me being about 30-40 sec. But just as inexplicably I haven't
> experienced it in some time.
>
> Nick j.

> ------------------------------
Not a silly question at all, Nick. Prior to my post, I let the program
"think" for 45 sec-1min and nothing happened. I let it sit for a bit longer
(well over 1 minute) once I regained my patience and the plot function
worked. Now plotting is quick and seamless.

Thanks for the assistance!

Jeff Eggleston, M.S.
University of Nevada Las Vegas
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition Sciences
Graduate Assistant
Doctoral Student

Does it occur repeatedly the first time you plot after opening Octave? is there any repeatability to it? I don't think anyone has hit on a repeatable reason for that delay. I experienced very similar delays anytime the console had to output something long enough to call the pager, and it comes and goes with no explanation I can find.