Re: Octave won't install on Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: Octave won't install on Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 16:56:19 +0800

On 12/31/2015 06:09 AM, Steven Evans wrote:
Octave Team,
     I tried to install Octave on my Linux system, but was
unsuccessful.  I'm running Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, and Octave can be found
in the Lubuntu Software Center.  However, after trying to install, I
received an error message stating that I have broken packages.
     I then tried to install Octave from the terminal by typing the
following commands:

|sudo apt-add-repository ppa:octave/stable sudo apt-get update sudo
apt-get install octave |

     After doing so, the following prints to the screen:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  octave : Depends: libamd2.3.1 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libarpack2 (>= 2.1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libblas3 but it is not going to be installed or
                    libblas.so.3
           Depends: libccolamd2.8.0 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libcholmod2.1.2 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libcolamd2.8.0 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libcxsparse3.1.2 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libfltk-gl1.3 (>= 1.3.0) but it is not going to be
installed
           Depends: libfltk1.3 (>= 1.3.1) but it is not going to be
installed
           Depends: libglpk36 (>= 4.51) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libgraphicsmagick++3 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libgraphicsmagick3 (>= 1.3.5) but it is not going to
be installed
           Depends: liboctave3 (= 4.0.0-3ubuntu2~octave~trusty3) but it
is not going to be installed
           Depends: libqhull6 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libqscintilla2-11 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.5.3) but it is not going to be
installed
           Depends: texinfo but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: octave-common (= 4.0.0-3ubuntu2~octave~trusty3) but
it is not going to be installed
           Depends: default-jre-headless but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: gnuplot-x11 or
                       gnuplot-qt but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: libopenblas-base but it is not going to be
installed or
                       libatlas3-base but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: pstoedit but it is not going to be installed
  virtualbox-5.0 : Depends: libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.7.2) but it is not
going to be installed
                   Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not going to be
installed
                   Recommends: dkms but it is not going to be installed
                   Recommends: gcc but it is not going to be installed
                   Recommends: make but it is not going to be installed
                   Recommends: binutils but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

     After that I typed "sudo apt-get -f install" at the prompt.  I then
receive the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  octave : Depends: libarpack2 (>= 2.1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libcholmod2.1.2 but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: liboctave3 (= 4.0.0-3ubuntu2~octave~trusty3) but it
is not going to be installed
           Depends: libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.5.3) but it is not going to be
installed
           Depends: default-jre-headless but it is not going to be installed

One thing you can try is to install those dependencies manually and hope that your system is not too much broken. Something like

sudo apt-get install libarpack2 libcholmod2.1.2 liboctave3 libqt4-opengl default-jre-headless.

Regards,
ST