Re: cannot install package parallel

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: cannot install package parallel
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 08:37:51 +0100

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 05:13:12PM -0800, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 15:59:23 -0800, Clinton Winant wrote:
> > OS Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3
> > Octave 4.0.0
> > liboctave-dev installed
> > octave packages control & signal installed properly
> >
> > Identical issue on Linux Mint and Ubuntu 14.04

> > mkdir (/tmp/oct-pQhGyQ)
> > untar (/home/cdw/parallel-3.0.3.tar.gz, /tmp/oct-pQhGyQ)
> > checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> > checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
> > checking for suffix of executables...
> > checking whether we are cross compiling... no
> > checking for suffix of object files... o
> > checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
> > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
> > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> > checking for mkoctfile... /usr/bin/mkoctfile --verbose
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
> > checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> > checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> > checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> > checking for sys/types.h... yes
> > checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> > checking for stdlib.h... yes
> > checking for string.h... yes
> > checking for memory.h... yes
> > checking for strings.h... yes
> > checking for inttypes.h... yes
> > checking for stdint.h... yes
> > checking for unistd.h... yes
> > checking gnutls/gnutls.h usability... no
> > checking gnutls/gnutls.h presence... no
> > checking for gnutls/gnutls.h... no
> > configure: error: gnutls/gnutls.h not found or not compilable
> >
> > Where to find gnutils?

Can't say for your distributions, but the necessary packages are
probably named something like libgnutls-<some_version_number> (runtime
library) and libgnutls<some_version_number>-dev (development files,
which are needed also if you install 'parallel' this way).

I actually attempted to make 'parallel' install, with a warning, even
if gnutls is not present. Seems I still overlooked a line in
configure.ac ... I'll change this in the next release.

> On Mint or Ubuntu, maybe you should try installing the distribution
> packages instead?

Which versions are these? According to

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/math/octave-parallel

Ubuntu seems to have version 2.0.5. I'd not recommend using this,
because, apart from lacking something new:

- it does not contain the functions for local parallel execution,

- networking is not (attempted to be) cryptographically secured,

- it contains, among others, a now deprecated system of functions,

- it contains some functions (whose names had to be changed) under
  their old names.

Olaf