Re: warning: package ovtoolbox is empty

From: Joseph C Slater, PhD, PE
Subject: Re: warning: package ovtoolbox is empty
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 16:06:48 -0500

> On Feb 21, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 15:12:25 -0500, Joseph C Slater, PhD, PE wrote:
>> Whomever might be able to help:

<snip>

>> Note: This is a branch for the main repository. The main doesn't yet try to
>> be a formal package.
>
> That is the reason for the message. Octave expects a certain directory
> structure for packages. When Octave says the package is empty, it means
> files were not found in expected subdirectories.
>
> If all you want to do is unzip a bunch of m-files, you probably want to
> use the unpack and path functions.

My understanding it that the pkg install process can automate this for the
user, putting things in a nice place, setting paths, without my writing much of
a script to do that.

I must presume nearly complete computer illiteracy for the installation (or
students won't tentatively take that first step). In matlab, I have a script
that students can download and simply run in matlab. It does all the rest for
them. I need to get to this level of simplicity in Octave if I'm to convince
them to use Octave (which I'd like to support.).

Note: I'm asking to how to package it (as the developer) not a user trying to
install it. There is no mention of any special directory structure required in
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Creating-Packages.html. The
only things listed as required are the COPYING and DESCRIPTION files.

Joe