Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:23:12 -0400

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Sunil Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Sunil Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Can you post how to build 4.0.1 on the latest Yosemite release using Fink?
>> I have been using Fink octave packages with altas.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I’ll assume you are using the released sources (you could also build from the
> developer’s sources).
>
> (1) Goto the sources at https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html.
> You may be prompted to login. Just select “guest” and skit the
> username/password.
> (2) When a Finder window opens with the tar-balls, locate octave-4.0.1.tar.gz
> and copy it to the location where you’d like to build octave.
> (3) Double click on the archive. It will unpack in to a folder called
> octave-4.0.1.
> (4) Place the files attached to this email in the folder.
> (5) To ensure you have all the needed dependencies, open a Terminal window
> and enter "fink install octave382-atlas-qtmac-dev”
> (6) You’ll need to remove Fink’s Octave before trying to run the one you’ll
> compile (“fink remove octave382-atlas-qtmac-dev”)
> (7) My scripts assume you have gcc5 installed, “fink install gcc5”
> (8) From the Terminal window cd into octave-4.0.1 and type “chmod 755
> ./fink_*.sh”. This marks the two scripts as executable.
> (9) From the Terminal window type “./fink_configure_octave_noX11_v1.sh” to
> configure the octave build. This might take a few minutes. If any errors are
> encountered, please tell us what the error.
> (10) Build Octave by typing “./fink_make_octave.sh”. If any errors occur,
> please tell us what the error was. My script configured octave's build was
> configured to install into /sw/local. This is done to ensure that it doesn’t
> conflict with anything else.
> (11) To install octave type “make install” in a Terminal window and from the
> octave-4.0.1 folder.
> (12) If you decide to uninstall, type “make uninstall” for the octave-4.0.1
> folder where you build octave.
> (13) To run octave, type “/sw/local/bin/octave &” from a Terminal window.
>
> Once all the above is completed, we can help you setup an icon to click on to
> launch Octave.
>
> Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> In following your instructions on octave 4.0.1 on fink, it worked fine till
> step 7).
>
> When I issued fink install gcc5, it failed.  I saw that on fink mailing list,
> others had a similar problem (though for gcc 5.2.0.2).  The latest gcc5 in
> fink is gcc 5.3.0.1.  So I am trying the remedy in the mailing list, to
> remove fink's make and retrying gcc5 install.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/fink/mailman/message/34537356/
>
> I suppose if that works, should I reinstall fink make before proceeding with
> [...]

Opps, I actually don’t have gcc5 installed :-(

I do have gcc5-compiler & gcc5-shlibs installed.

$ fink list gcc5
Scanning package description files..........
Information about 9327 packages read in 68 seconds.
     gcc5                                            5.3.0-1
         GNU Compiler Collection Version 5
 i   gcc5-compiler                                   5.3.0-1
         Compiler Binaries for gcc5
 i   gcc5-shlibs                                     5.3.0-1
         Shared libraries for gcc5
     liboctave364-gcc5
         [virtual package]
     liboctave364-gcc5-dev
         [virtual package]
     liboctave382-gcc5
         [virtual package]
     liboctave382-gcc5-dev
         [virtual package]

So (7) should be …

(7) My scripts assume you have gfortran from gcc5 installed, “fink install
gcc5-compiler gcc5-shlibs”

You should be able to pick up from (7) and continue (you don’t need repeat the
earlier steps).

Ben