java interface

From: Ernst Reissner
Subject: java interface
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 00:51:56 +0200

Hi all,
after upgrading to octave 3.8.2
i found some changes: now the java interface is integrated into octave,
well done!

But a problem occurred:
I implement various arithmetic types in java,
all provided with a method doubleValue() inspired by Double.doubleValue().

The documentation says nothing about conversion between java types and
octave types
but i suspect that java-types with method doubleValue are silently
converted into double's
using this method.
While this seems reasonable for Double, it is not what we want for
arbitrary arithmetics,
because that way one cannot combine say fraction numbers without
intermediate conversion to double.

What about providing a list of classes which are to be converted that
way, if they have a method doubleValue()?

best regards,

Ernst