Re: Plot command crashes Octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Plot command crashes Octave
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:36:32 -0700

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 12:16:23 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> I have noticed that even on linux octave is not the most graceful when
> gnuplot_binary points to a wrong location:
>
> >> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> >> gnuplot_binary ("/tmp/junk")
> >> plot(1:2)
> popen2 (child): No such file or directory
> warning: broken pipe
>
> (and I have to kill octave process w/ multiple Ctrl-C)

If you reverse the order you should get a better result:

  >> gnuplot_binary /tmp/junk
  >> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
  error: __init_gnuplot__: the gnuplot program is not available, see
'gnuplot_binary'
  error: called from
      graphics_toolkit at line 85 column 5

I think patches would be welcome to fix this with the order you have,
but it's not clear to me how the gnuplot pipe is managed, under what
conditions it is opened and closed. It seems safest not to change what
gnuplot_binary points to after the toolkit has been activated.

--
mike