Re: Fwd: Re[4]: xlsread does not read a column

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re[4]: xlsread does not read a column
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote

>>> strelolist@

>>> Date: Aug 5, 2016 10:57 PM
>>> Subject: Re[4]: xlsread does not read a column
>>> :
>>> it changed.
>>> computer the previous evening),
>>> <snip>
>> The developer did eye it, but while on vacation with patchy web access,
>> replying through nabble (my only option there) moved me to a fairly
>> suspicious Russian email site with loads of "404"-s so I couldn't answer.
>>
>> Anyway I'll try to look at it this week. I did note something else in
>> Svetlana's reply that shouldn't happen anyway. Maybe I can reproduce her
>> xlsread issues along the way.
> I had a brief look.
> I can reproduce the OP's problem but only with the COM interface. Funny as
> Excel itself reads the file allright.

Svetlana, I think the only thing that changed is that you tried to read a
worksheet with just one column of data rather than several columns. That
triggered an obscure bug that must have been there for a looong time (many
years).

To get rid of the bug:

1.  Type in the Octave terminal:
strrep (which ("oct2xls"), "oct2xls.m", ["private" filesep])
and note the location that is returned;

2.  please copy
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/io/file/7744b4202f87/inst/private/__COM_getusedrange__.m
(if reguired select "raw" in left column)
and put it in the location obtained in step 1.

The (easy) fix is already in the io package repo.

Thanks for reporting.

Philip