Arduino/Serial Listening

From: lachycharts
Subject: Arduino/Serial Listening
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 07:16:46 -0700 (PDT)

I am using Octave to communicate with my Arduino using the instrument-control
package. Right now, I send a G-code string to move the motor, and it will
report back to octave with how many steps it has moved every 100ms. My goal
is to set up a listening function that's sole purpose is to keep looping and
checking the Arudino output /in the background without freezing the whole
program/. I've done this using threading in C++ (Qt) but with Octave I have
to enter a while-loop and break out of it when I reach my delimiting
character 'D' for "Done". I'd like to be able to read the serial port buffer
and perform other processes/functions/commands in Octave in the mean time.

Is this possible?

Lachlan