Re: Are there any plans to integrate MatPlotLib with GNU Octave?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Are there any plans to integrate MatPlotLib with GNU Octave?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:01:28 -0700

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 12:41:36 -0700, zequinha wrote:
> Thanks mike!
>
> Is Pytave a way of accessing Octave functions using python? If it is, I
> meant quite the opposite: accessing the matplotlib functionality using GNU
> Octave syntax!

Exactly what you mean. The example I showed is in an Octave session.

To be honest I forgot one necessary call for now, here is the full
Octave session that I use to bring up a matplotlib figure:

  >> addpath ~/src/octave/pytave/
  >> pyeval ("__import__('matplotlib.pyplot')");
  >> plt = py.matplotlib.pyplot;
  >> plt.plot (rand (1, 1000));
  >> plt.show ();

Please note that this project is in a highly alpha development state,
expect things to break and to find bugs, but I would appreciate testers
and contributors. I'm hesitant to mention it too much on the help list
because it's largely out of scope, but if you are comfortable cloning
the repository (https://bitbucket.org/mtmiller/pytave) and building it
against a dev or 4.2 version of Octave, please do try it out.

--
mike