Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 128, Issue 3

From: Ericbarnhill
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 128, Issue 3
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 06:17:35 -0400

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:01:28 -0700
From: Mike Miller <address@hidden>
To: zequinha <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Are there any plans to integrate MatPlotLib with GNU
Octave?

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 12:41:36 -0700, zequinha wrote:
> Thanks mike!
>
> Is Pytave a way of accessing Octave functions using python? If it is, I
> meant quite the opposite: accessing the matplotlib functionality using GNU
> Octave syntax!

Exactly what you mean. The example I showed is in an Octave session.

Sorry but I am confused by this. I have just pulled the hg repository for Pytave and the README includes this text:

--
Pytave enables Python scripts to use existing m-files (Octave/Matlab
scripts) for numerical calculations. The Octave language interpreter is

This does not appear to indicate that Pytave runs within Octave. Does the README just need to be updated?

The launchpad site for Pytave says more or less the same thing.

Please note that this project is in a highly alpha development state,
expect things to break and to find bugs, but I would appreciate testers
and contributors. I'm hesitant to mention it too much on the help list
because it's largely out of scope, but if you are comfortable cloning
the repository (https://bitbucket.org/mtmiller/pytave) and building it
against a dev or 4.2 version of Octave, please do try it out.

--
mike

If I can indeed run it within Octave I will gladly test it for you against 4.3.x+ and if it somehow allows me to call ITK and VTK python wrappers from within Octave, I will be your new best friend.

Eric