Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:33:19 -0800

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:58:30 +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
> But Kai's solution really solves my problem, by providing a mean to detect
> that the MEX-file must be recompiled.

I guess my claim is that it is not a guaranteed hack. I think it is only
because your mex file is loading a different liboctinterp into the same
Octave process space, that *something* is being corrupted in memory, and
there is no guarantee that the error you are seeing is reliable or
meaningful in any way, other than "Octave is screwed up now".

I have simply compiled examples/code/mex_demo.c with mkoctfile-4.0.3,
and tried "which mex_demo" in Octave 4.2, causing Octave to abort, no
way to nicely catch the error and continue working.

--
mike