Re: state of ode15s implementation

From: Andreas Hilboll
Subject: Re: state of ode15s implementation
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:12:30 +0100

c. writes:

> On 13 Dec 2016, at 16:30, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 13 Dec 2016, at 15:21, Andreas Hilboll <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Octave list,
>>>
>>> with large interest, I saw that as part of GSOC2016, there was the plan
>>> to implement a MATLAB-compatible ode15s for Octave.  Unfortunately, I
>>> was not able to find any blog or the like covering the project's
>>> progress.
>>> As ode15s is of high importance for a possible project of mine, I would
>>> like to inquire about the state of the ode15s implementation.  I would
>>> appreciate any pointers to where I can find more info on the project.
>>
>> Here is Francesco's blog covering the project:
>> http://gsoc2016ode15s.blogspot.it/
>>
>> Here is a repository with a version of Octave that includes the
>> implementation of ode15i and ode15s:
>> https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave/branch/ode15i
>>

>> The project should be fairly complete, the main missing features I can think
>> of are
>>
>> - complex valued systems are not supported (actually anything except double)
>> - JPattern option is not supported
>>
>> If you would like to try out the code yourself and help improving it
>> please go ahead and do not hesitate to provide feedback.
>>
>> HTH,
>> c.
>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Andreas.
>>
>> P.S.: On the other hand, if you just need a solver for implicit differential
>> equations,
>> you do not really need ode15i as DASPK has been available in Octave for many
>> years already ....
>
> Hi,
>
> I just managed to transplant the ode15s implementation
> from my repository into the main Octave repository.
>
> So, if you download the development version of Octave
> that should already include ode15s.
>
> I'd be glad to hear your feedback if you try it.

Thanks a lot for the links, the info, and your work!  My use case is
trying to get F0AM (https://sites.google.com/site/wolfegm/code-archive)
to run under Octave.  At this point, I don't even know if the usage of
ode15s in F0AM should work with the Octave implementation, given the
limitations you mention.  I'll try, probably during the holidays; expect
feedback early next year.

Best,
  Andreas.

--
Dr. Andreas Hilboll

Center for Marine Environmental Sciences (MARUM)
                    - AND -
    Institute of Environmental Physics (IUP)

University of Bremen

NW1 / S3132
Otto-Hahn-Allee 1
D-28359 Bremen