Re: "qt" and mpi

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: "qt" and mpi
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:29:58 -0800

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 16:15:56 -0800, Clinton Winant wrote:
> I have two multi-core computers, both run Ubuntu 16.04 with octave 4.2.0
> installed.  One is a server that has very elementary VGA support, processes
> are normally run through "ssh -X IP.add". This is the system that gave the
> error I reported in my original message.  If I install a local terminal and
> run octave, then qt plotting is fine (but so hardware-limited as to be
> useless). Perhaps this is what Kal meant when he was asking whether this
> was a "remote" machine.  I though he meant was the machine off-site.

Yes, this is how I took Kai's question, do you log into the machine
remotely through ssh. That is what you have found to be the salient
factor.

> My general conclusion is that qt fails when accessed through ssh, even
> though other graphics packages (gnuplot, ncview) work fine, and the mode of
> failure is variable.  You may have already known this, in which case sorry
> for the bother.

I agree, but please keep in mind that even though the plotting toolkit
is called "qt", this is *not* a limitation of Qt the software framework.

This is because Octave's qt toolkit uses OpenGL to render figures on
screen, and OpenGL relies heavily on hardware specific libraries and
drivers for effective operation.

It's more accurate to say that OpenGL fails (for many users) when
tunneled through ssh.

--
mike