Re: completely free linux distro and octave

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: completely free linux distro and octave
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:49:39 +0100

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 01:02:17AM -0800, prasadm wrote:
> FSF lists ( here <https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html>  ) some
> gnu/linux distros which are "completely free". Which one of them, if I
> install, will allow me to reliably install GNU Octave 4.2?

If you should not get a response from a user of these free distros,
I'd suggest taking a distro based on Debian, as gnewsense (server
currently has problems?) or trisquel (based on Ubuntu, which in turn
is based on Debian). I could build and install Octave 4.2 from source
on Debian stable (after having to install some -dev Debian packages),
so it is to be hoped that it's also possible on derived distros.

(Off topic: This lasting controversy between FSF and Debian is
unfortunate. You _can_ run a completely free Debian system, if you
refrain from the non-free section. Paradoxly, some FSF documentation
is in Debians non-free section, since Debian has a stricter view than
the FSF on what constitutes free documentation.)

Olaf