Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 12:55:32 -0400

On 04/13/2017 12:37 PM, roland65 wrote:
Sorry, I was probably not very clear. I'd just like to know if there is
somewhere a complete binary package for Octave that is more or less
independent of the distribution.

I dind't find such a thing, so I just ask if it could be done or not.

My need is the following: in my company there are some Linux users that
could use Octave. Some are on Ubuntu, some on Redhat, some on OpenSuse, etc.
Most of them have distribution that only propose the 4.0.x version...

Right, so this is what technologies such as Docker and Flatpack are trying to solve. Some people think they are the future, but I am apprehensive: a well run distribution (RedHat, Debian, SuSE, Fedora) have practically solved the long-term management problem: once set up, they just automatically get updates. When you enter containers into it, you gain stability in the short term but the long-term maintenance takes a hit, unless you keep updating the container, which makes me wonder why you couldn't just update the native package in the first place.