Sparse Matrices

From: dfarrell
Subject: Sparse Matrices
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

I'm fairly new to Matlab/Octave. I have a sparse square matrix about 29000 x
29000. I have a trial subscription to Matlab and was able to find
eigenvalues by doing the following

load mat.dat
h=spconvert(mat);
sort(eigs(h,10,-70))

These commands work on Matlab and Octave for a relatively small matrix (5000
x 5000) but for the larger matrix (written in exactly the same format)
Matlab works but Octave gives the error:

SparseLU numeric factorization failed

Has anyone with experience using Octave to find eigenvalues of large sparse
matrices come across this and, if so, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.