Re: Octave gcc problem (Homebrew Mac)

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Octave gcc problem (Homebrew Mac)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 17:25:06 -0400

> On May 4, 2017, at 4:40 PM, Vic Norton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I just did a brew upgrade and it killed octave. Here is the error message I
> get.
> ~$ octave
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/6/libgfortran.3.dylib
>  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/octave-cli
>  Reason: image not found
> Abort trap: 6
>
> Apparently the problem is that
>  /usr/local/opt/gcc
> has just become a symbolic link to
>  /usr/local/Cellar/gcc/7.1.0
> rather than the previous
>  /usr/local/Cellar/gcc/6.3.0_1.
> And a new libgfortran.4.dylib resides in the 7.1.0 version of gcc.
>
> I hate to mess with Homebrew. I expect the problem might be fixed by forcing
>  /usr/local/opt/gcc
> to link to
>  /usr/local/Cellar/gcc/6.3.0_1
> as before, but it does seem that Homebrew’s octave-cli should be adjusted for
> the new address@hidden
>
> What is your advice? Right now I am dead in the water.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

Well, I hated to mess with Homebrew, but the above solution did work. I now
have a working Octave. Here is what I did in Terminal.

1. I changed my directory to /usr/local/opt
2. I relabeled gcc as gcc-new
3. I ran
   $ ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/gcc/6.3.0_1 gcc

Now Octave 4.2.1 works as before, but I’ve messed up the latest Homebrew gcc in
/usr/local/opt.

I don’t like this solution. I’d rather have an Octave that can use Homebrew’s
address@hidden

-
Vic