Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:25:19 -0700 (MST)

Ray Tayek wrote
> hi, new to octave. taking a machine learning course.

Nice, which course do you take part in, maybe some other course participants
can help you out here or benefit from other answers.

Ray Tayek wrote
> it's just doing some standard nn stuff.

Most of us have a great idea about standard Octave stuff, but are not
necessarily experts on neural networks, or on the code you are trying to run
;-)

Ray Tayek wrote
>> ... Since you are running
>> on Windows I assume you've done the usual things  ... if you're running
>> on a laptop.
> it's a desktop.
>
>> That said it's entirely possible you're running an infinite loop inside
>> of octave and you may be waiting a while
>>

> the program terminates and seems to behave in a rational way.

This is good news.

Ray Tayek wrote
> it's not doing any i/o. 50% of memory is unused.
>
> i would expect to see at least one thread running near 100%.
>
> so i am puzzled.

And I am puzzled of the huge and still incomplete example you provided (what
are all the sub-functions doing, i/o maybe?).  Consider to use a MCVE
<https://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve> if you are honestly looking for help.
Maybe attach long files to your email to not get wrapped, or better upload
all of the required code to some public service, attaching a link to it.
Like NJank said, it is more guessing than answering what we can do for you
at the moment.

HTH,
Kai