RE: compiling octave fails on building flex

From: JohnD
Subject: RE: compiling octave fails on building flex
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 07:52:46 -0500

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:33:17 -0700
> From: Marshall Floyd <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: compiling octave fails on building flex
>
> I have tried building mxe-octave in Ubuntu (in Virtual Box) with the
> intent of eventually cross compiling for Windows, but I'd be happy if I
> could get a linux version. I want many of the bug fixes and enhancements
> in the development version. I have used instructions from
> http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer, http://wiki.octave.org/MXE,
> and http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems. Compilation fails
> while building flex. How can I fix the problem with building flex, or
> compile octave using the installed version of flex? I've tried a few
> things to avoid building flex, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that,
> e.g. ./configure --without-flex or make PKG_EXCLUDE='flex', and other
> variations. I can't find it now, but I've seen a partial answer on the
> help email list to a similar problem of setting some make option or
> looking at one of the .mk files for guidance suggesting that building
> make shouldn't have to be done. How can I do that?

What options do you pass to configure when building, and what error occurs?

For creating a 64 bit windows installer I use the following configure

./configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-binary-packages
--enable-octave=default --enable-qt5 --enable-64 --enable-windows-64

For creating a linux native, I use:

../configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-binary-packages
--enable-octave=default --disable-system-opengl --enable-native-build
--enable-lib64-directory --enable-pic-flag --disable-system-x11-libs
--disable-system-fontconfig --disable-system-gcc --enable-qt5 gnu-linux