Re: proper way to build octave on ubuntu

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: proper way to build octave on ubuntu
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:22:57 +0100

Am 10.01.2018 um 16:31 schrieb Clinton S:
> I am wondering what the expected procedure is to build octave on
> ubuntu.  I tried following the instructions at this page:
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems, but before I could
> call ./configure, I had to run ./bootstrap so that ./configure would
> have the necessary files, after which I was able to successfully build
> octave.
>
> My confusion arises from the fact that I edited the above wiki page to
> reflect my experience, but user Carandraug reverted my change.  I am
> trying to figure out whether calling ./bootstrap was not the expected
> way to do things, or whether there was something wrong with my specific
> edit to the wiki page or its style, as I included a caveat that I wasn't
> experienced with building octave.

There is a difference if you download a source tarball or the source
code via mercurial.

The source tarball from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/ includes the
configure script (you don't need/have bootstrap) and you don't need a
number of other programs like bison (which create c++ code) because the
generated files are already included in the tarball.

If you checkout the sources via mercurial (hg clone ...) you have to
create these files. ./bootstrap for example creates the configure script
(via automake/autoreconf).

Now clear?

PS: Btw, this is nothing specific GNU Octave and you'll see this in many
other projects.

-- Andy