Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 18:51:20 +0100

Dne 20. 01. 19 v 18:42 Sergei Steshenko napsal(a):

Using named pipes you can save Octave variables using 'save' in one process and load Octave variables in another process using 'load'. And/or maybe 'fwrite' and 'fread' preceded by 'fopen'.

Named pipes also exist in Windows.

Hi Sergei,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Do you have a practical experience with using named pipes for this? I would love to avoid the blocking that pipes bring. If the reader fails, the writer will get stuck once the pipe fills up. If the writer writes two variables into the pipe, can the reader recover both of them sequentially? That would be quite easy to do with octave-zeromq which delivers each message payload individually, but there is no file to 'load' from...

Or maybe I am missing something important.

Anyway I very much appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Pavel.