help-panorama

passable reflect

From: Brian Stanford
Subject: passable reflect
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:36:10 +0200

All through that interview he keeps on his gloves. Joyce held out a hand to each of thetwo men.
Not a shred of a letter had beendiscovered amongst her possessions.
Hanaud returned to the car, and a minutelater the street was empty again. Already on that night she knew of thisroom! The examining magistrate spoke with a mild interest in his voice. The morning found him still at his labours.
It was within this room, then, that Evelyn Devenish was murdered, saidMr.
Ricardo aneedless particularity, that it was secured without the knowledge of thehousehold.
It was to this house that Evelyn Devenish had come whenall the world was in bed.
Ricardo corrected, the habit of accuracyreasserting its authority.
He slept as boys sleep after afootball match. It was not indeed until the car had flashed through Pauillac thathe spoke again. The Prefect of Bordeaux, the magistrate repeated. But to me, it seemed that he was holding himself up by that bolt. We were on the terrace of Suvlac, you and I.
I have yet to learn that a clinicand the Prefecture are synonymous terms.
A moment afterwards Ricardo heard his footsteps andthose of Moreau upon the pebbles of the drive. For I shall not know until tomorrow the whole truth of thisaffair.
He lifts his left arm and plays with the bolt.
Butthere had come a time when Evelyn Devenishs passion grew exacting andeven dangerous. Amongst us three there is no needfor concealments. Moreau in the passage stood to attention.
And what was it that you, Hanaud, discovered in DianaTasboroughs room?
Ricardo exclaimed in bewilderment, and Hanaud hastened to interrupt him.
Ricardo, that you alone exclaim when Isay three.
Ricardorealized with a shock of repulsion that he was gazing at a horrid parodyof an altar. From the days of Madame deMontespan and the Abbe Guibourg, the Black Mass has had its congregation. And a greatcrucifix of ebony with an ivory Christ stood upside down. One resents them more and more instead ofceasing to notice them at all. He stretched out ahand as Hanaud produced a letter from his pocket.