help-rcs

Correcting keyword entries after ci

From: Fly, Charlie B
Subject: Correcting keyword entries after ci
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:04:25 -0600

Hi,

We are developing a Python interface to SCCS, RCS and CVS for internal use on multiple platforms including Sun, Dell with linux, IBM risc 6000 with AIX and DEC Alpha.  Our management process involves the use of Authorization Numbers which we are embedding in the message line.

For example, the check-in for test.py for revision 1.1 is

ci -m"SR123456 Initial Checkin" -t-"Test file for authorization corrections" test.py

test.py contains two keyword lines

# $Log$

and

rcsid = '$Header$ $Id$'

Upon check-out of a read only copy, these have expanded to their normal forms.

For the purpose of testing this problem, I checked out test.py and added another comment to it.  And then checked it back in:

ci -m"SR123456 Added a comment line" test.py

Upon check-out for read-only, everything is expanded correctly and as expected.

The problem is SR123456 should have been SR654321 for example.  The change needs to be applied to both Revision 1.1 and 1.2.

rcs -m1.1:"SR654321 Initial Checkin" test.py

and

rcs -m1.2:"SR654321 Added a comment line" test.py

does change the log lines.

rlog correctly shows the changed lines.

When I check out Revision 1.1, the change is correctly shown in the expansions.

But when I check out Revision 1.2, the expansion for 1.1 does not reflect the correction but the expansion for 1.2 does.

So the Log expansion looks like

# $Log: test.py,v $
# Revision 1.2  2004/01/23  16:20:50   fly
# SR654321 Added a comment line
#
# Revision 1.1  2004/01/23   16:15:51   fly
# SR123456 Initial Checkin

Is there a way in RCS to get this to come out correctly?  I have tried editing the test.py,v file directly.  That seems to work, but I really don't want to do that.  Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

The equivalent action in SCCS is

sccs cdc ...

which works just fine.

Thanks for any help you can give me,