help-rcs

Re: RCS repository example

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: RCS repository example
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:08:36 -0500 (EST)

By "RCS repository", do you mean just a directory with a number of files
along with a single RCS subdirectory containg all the respective RCS
files, or do you mean a tree of directories with RCS subdirectories in
each?

I don't know of any places off the top of my head where an examplary RCS
repository of either of the above sorts exist.  Nor am I able to think of
where to find one.  If I had to, I'd try requesting the RCS repository for
GNU RCS, which is probably available from Purdue University or the Free
Software Foundation.  Try contacting them.  But things us to CVS, RCS's
close descendant.

Access is available to thousands of CVS repositories hosted on the
Internet, though few places I know of provide anonymous access to the
actual repository files, just the ability to perform operations (like
check-out) revisions to the repository tree.  But, if you could gain
access to the entire CVS repository of some software project, I don't see
why you couldn't easily convert it (or some subset of the repository) into
an RCS repository.  It would at the minimum require writing the first
cvs2rcs command.

My understanding is that the Linux kernel publishes its entire CVS
repository tree available for download.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/

/a

--
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/ashawley/FSF