help-rcs

Win32 RCS, Unix EOL

From: Lee Boekelheide
Subject: Win32 RCS, Unix EOL
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:27:29 -0800

It appears that there's a problem with the std Win32 dist of RCS.

I had a file with a few revisions of history.  I checked it out, made
some changes to it, and checked the changed version in.

The RCS file and the working version were damaged beyond repair.  (I had
a recent-enough backup.)

Upon investigation, I discovered that the change that broke things was
that I changed the file from using standard DOS CrLf eol to Unix Lf only
eol.

If I check out a file, change the eol from DOS to Unix, then check it
back in, a chunk disappears from the master RCS file and from the local
working copy.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions?

My hunch is some kind of mixup in file positioning using ftell, or "wb"
or "rb" on fopen, because line sizes are different without the extra Cr.
But before I started chasing the bug, I thought I'd ask.

--Lee

--
  Lee Boekelheide                           voice:  +1 503 968 1270 x11
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.              fax:  +1 503 968 1773