help-rcs

Re: RCS and samba

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: RCS and samba
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:53:33 -0500

On Jan 14, 2008 11:19 PM, Pope, Chris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using RCS 5.7 on Windows XP.
>
> It works fine on local files, files will register and I can checkin and
> checkout them.
>
> However, I access files via a samba share.  The samba configuration maps my
> username (userA) to a unix user (userB) which owns all the files and
> directories I want to access.  I can successfully register files.  All the
> files and directories are owned by userB.
>
> When I try to checkout a file, I receive the error below:
>
> co test.txt
> RCS/test.txt  -->  test.txt
> revision 1.1
> co: writable test.txt exists; checkout aborted
>
> It appears that the co process is attempting to do something with the
> test.txt file using my userA credentials or username, when it needs to be
> doing this using the userB username.
>
> Accessing another samba share on the same unix server which connects as
> userA, I can successfully register files and perform checkin and checkout
> operations.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

After you checkin -- and by default, unlock a file -- unless you lock
with the -l option, RCS deletes the file.  It appears RCS is having a
hard time making the delete.  When you try to checkout the file --
without locking -- it notices the writable file is still there and the
operation fails.  Ironically, my version of RCS asks me rather than
aborts:

co test.txt
test.txt,v  -->  test.txt
revision 1.1
writable test.txt exists; remove it? [ny](n):

/a