help-shishi

Re: shisa API for setting password in plaintext

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: shisa API for setting password in plaintext
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:51:38 +0100

Elrond <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 04:55:03PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> [...]
>> int
>> shishi_key_from_name (Shishi * handle,
>>                    int32_t type,
>>                    const char *name,
>>                    const char *password, size_t passwordlen,
>>                    const char *parameter, Shishi_key ** outkey)
>>
>> Which even does this step correctly.  Shisa now use this API.
>
> I checked shisa now.
>
> We might have run a bit in the wrong direction...
>
> When going the shishi_key_from_name() way in shisa, salt
> isn't set correctly and doesn't go into the newly created
> dbkey.

Oops, agreed.

> I don't know, what the right way out of this is.
> Maybe Shishi_key should know the salt, maybe
> shishi_key_from_name should output the salt. I don't know,
> really.

It seems better to separate this, I've created:

int
shishi_derive_default_salt (Shishi * handle,
                            const char *name,
                            char **salt)

Which shishi_key_from_name and shisa.c now use.

As a result, shisa.c doesn't use shishi_key_from_name any more, but
that API may be useful anyway, so I'll keep it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Simon