help-shishi

Re: Dependency problem?

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Dependency problem?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:15:38 -0700

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:
> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why doesn't the shishi package automatically depend on libshishi?

>> address@hidden:~/src/shishi$ apt-cache show shishi|grep Depend
>> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6)
>> address@hidden:~/src/shishi$

>> I thought the control file line

>> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}

>> would have taken care of that.

> Uh, hm.  In order for dh_shlibdeps to pick this up automatically, since
> the library package is built as part of the same source package, it
> needs to have a line like:

>     dh_shlibdeps -L libshishi0 -l$(CURDIR)/debian/libshishi0/usr/lib

> to point it to the uninstalled shared libraries.

This would work great if dh_shlibdeps took more than one -L option, but it
doesn't.

However, some other magic is still happening here that causes this to work
provided dh_makeshlibs has already been run for the given library, and I'm
not entirely sure why.  That makes me think that the -L option is actually
unnecessary, but the man pages have no hint of that.

Anyway, all this finally reduces to the discovery that the dependencies
are broken unless the libraries are built first, since otherwise
dh_shlibdeps is run for the binary packages before the libraries get
dh_makeshlibs and the libraries are not found.  Reordering the packages in
debian/control to put the libraries first fixes the problem.

The mystifying part, though, is that Heimdal uses CDBS, builds tons of
shared libraries, lists them last in debian/control, and doesn't seem to
have this problem.  So clearly I'm still missing something somewhere.  But
the reordering at least fixes the immediate problem.

I'm pondering what bugs need to be filed.  I think there's a cdbs bug here
somewhere and possibly a debhelper bug, but I'm not sure.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>