help-shishi

Re: shishi.skel somewhat large

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: shishi.skel somewhat large
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:06:13 +0200

Elrond <address@hidden> writes:

> Apropos Debian packaging (or at least, what ends up on my
> box ;) ):
>
> Why is shishi.skel so big, when there is
> /etc/shishi/shishi.conf with mostly the same contents?

One is per-system and the other is per-user...  I'd thought it would
be good to document all options in both files, but I agree it is a bit
redundant.

> My idea would be for a very small shishi.skel:
> - Short header with reference to system shishi.conf with
>   path
> - most useful/used options with only short explanation.

This sounds better.

How about removing read-krb5conf, default-realm, realm-kdc,
server-realm, kdc-timeout, kdc-retries from shishi.skel?

> Most useful/used options from my (possibly limited) point
> of view:
> - default-principal

Agreed.

> - default-realm
> - realm-kdc
> - server-realm

It seems these really should be in the system config, I see few uses
for normal users to ever frob those values.  They would still be able
to do so, but there would be no comments in the file to help them.

Conversely, I do think these are useful to configure per-user:

client-kdc-etypes
ticket-life
renew-life
verbose*

> In reality, only default-principal _should_ be needed,
> everything else should be setup by the all-best, dedicated,
> and competent sysadmin (ho, ho) in the system config. ;)

I think the four above really are something that is reasonable to have
different settings for different users on the same host.

/Simon